Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Losing Your Big Brother

 The role of Big Brother can't be an easy one. You go before, experience the uncharted and take the punishments that come with it. I've been fortunate to have a really great Big Brother, Dave. He passed onto perpetual life this past Monday.

  My big brother, David, was my first hero. He was athletic, smart, witty and was willing to drag his little brother along on some interesting excursions. The loss is unexpected and incredible.

  We grew up in half of a double house, the back yards separated by a sidewalk between them. Our yard was a world-class whiffle ball stadium and playground. David was a great pitcher in that grand ball park. When we moved to a newer (single family) home, our shared bedroom doubled as a model-building workshop. David, to me, was a master model builder of WWII aircraft and ships. He taught me a lot about following instructions and completing a project. Dave didn't like to leave things unfinished; I believe that's a good trait and the world is better for it.

  Growing up in Western Maryland, we had the full range of weather patterns. Dave taught me how to mow grass and shovel snow. As silly as it sounds to some, my family and neighbors have enjoyed the benefits of David's teachings. And the world is more beautiful for him.

  One of my fondest memories of David was when he took me to play baseball with a bunch of his friends. These were older kids, his age. To have my big Brother bring me along, well...it meant the world to me. I don't remember any of the games, or who won. All I cared about was that my big Brother took me with him. And it made my world better.

  Dave was smart and did well in school. While our Sister, set the bar high for academics, David kept that standard high. You got the impression he wouldn't be much of a risk-taker, post high school. But, you'd be wrong. While many were poring over the college books, he and his beautiful Bride Ellen, bought and renovated a small apartment building. Later on, he'd take a chance by moving to the North Carolina coast. After settling in, Dave and Ellen bought a piece of property on Topsail Island and built a waterfront home. Dave had built his own dinghy and floating dock for their sailboat. Eventually, they'd sell that property, purchase acreage on the mainland and trade that sailboat for a John Deere tractor.

Sidebar; While I recognize Dave wasn't perfect, God help us if we're all judged only on our faults.

  Dave has left this world far too soon. His accomplishments came without advanced college degrees or massive infusions of inherited wealth. Most of us take these things for granted and/or ignore their significance. We should take time to give thanks to God, for the good people who've helped form us. For me, Dave was one of these people, my first hero.

  The world was better while David was here. The world seems a lesser place without him.

  Please keep your faith strong and true; Dave would want that for you.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment